The little fellas loose collection

_Lee_

Sith Lord
As many know, a few of us here are collecting beater sets for the kids and i wanted to ask what the feeling was about giving them repro weapons to enable them to play with the figures fully. Dont get me wrong, im not a repro guy but surely this cant hurt??? My lad begged me to give him some weapons and i was hesitant to give him the real deal so i bought him some repros. We are even making him a display case for his figures-so he can have a collection like dads :D Ive actually told him that there are fakes about and he understands to some degree how they hurt the hobby but i dont want to put all that on him-i just want him to get his play value :)

Opinions...

yoda

Sith Lord
I am sitting on the fence at minute with that one :?
I have a young boy who can't even crawl yet and I am building up figures and ships for him.
At the min I feel if I buy repro weapons I am only fueling the fire for more of them to be made. But when he is old enough asking for weapons I have no idea how I will view buying them for him to play with.
I suppose you have to do what makes you happy and if you do buy them make sure they stay out of circulation for someone else who may get caught out with them.

lejackal

Grand Master
Against - putting money into the manufacturers of the fakes anyway regardless of the intentions

For - Your kids getting to enjoy the toys the same way we all did and not losing your 20 odd quid Leia blaster in the process

The fakers don't look to be stopping anytime soon so a few people not buying the stuff probably won't have a significant impact on them and you are highly unlikely to sell the stuff on so there probably isn't an issue.

My boy is too young to be given accessories of any description at the minute so I've not had to make the decision but overall there is probably no significant harm in those weapons being in your boys toys.

mumbo

Sith Lord
I don't go out of my way to buy my kids repro but any that I've come across have gone into their collections as there is no way I am giving them originals (except for some vibro axes and hoth rifles). I've also educated them about reproduction weapons and they keep asking for original vintage weapons :lol:

Ian_C

Jedi Master
I've been there already Lee, when I bought my figures for my oldest. He was actually happy not having the guns, as he had a few modern figures too, and just interchanged the guns he got from those. I'd maybe give him repros you find in your own collection (if any), but wouldn't go out and buy them.....

Ian

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Ian_C said:
I've been there already Lee, when I bought my figures for my oldest. He was actually happy not having the guns, as he had a few modern figures too, and just interchanged the guns he got from those. I'd maybe give him repros you find in your own collection (if any), but wouldn't go out and buy them.....

Ian

I think Ian presents a good compromise position. Of course there is less harm in getting repros for your boy, Lee, and more reason to do so - loss of the original ones, cost, etc. But even if you explain to him the harm of repros until you are blue in the face, sometimes actions speak louder than words with people, especially children. I personally wouldn't want to risk any chance that giving my son repros would show him that having them is in any sense acceptable.

So a good compromise would be no weapons or weapons from modern figures. The little dude won't know the difference - although he may think you are a fool for doing so once he gets older........ :D . Hahahh just kidding.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
my loose collection is pretty much weapon-free as I also collect MOC's and just want the loose ones for display. I've bought stuff with known repro weapons which i just pass on to my cousin's kid as he has a boxload of beaters I gave him.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Jeez people need to lighten up a bit. He's just a kid, I'm sure he wants to play with his toys like they're supposed to be played with. Burdening his brain with the whole repro thing is daft, what's he going to do, go onto ebay and buy a repro lot when his folks aren't looking? There's plenty of time for all that when he's old enough.

Not buying them as a parent is obviously the best thing, I've found some over the years he can have if he wants them and you're not worried about the psychological harm it'll do him :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Modern Hasbro weapons seem like an excellent idea, albeit most of the earlier ones will be way too big for most vintage figures to hold. A compromise of sorts might be to get some of those incorrectly coloured repros (light grey Han and Leia blasters, for example). Yes they are repros, but since the main issue most collectors (myself included) have with repro weapons is people deliberately or unwittingly passing them off as vintage originals, if they are in an entirely incorrect colour never made in the vintage line, they cannot be confused with originals by anyone other than a complete novice, and hence I don't really have anything against those ones.

x-pack

Grand Master
I don't know if someone has made this point, but if you give your young 'un repro weapons they will be the weapons he played with as a child, and they could end up being his collection as an adult ....and my brain has just melted! :shock:

mumbo

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
I don't know if someone has made this point, but if you give your young 'un repro weapons they will be the weapons he played with as a child, and they could end up being his collection as an adult ....and my brain has just melted! :shock:

:lol:

yoda

Sith Lord
x-pack said:

That's actually a good point never thought of it that way. Although if it's like my own childhood figures I think I have managed to find 2. Although I haven't given up on finding more :?
That's 2 weapons I ment luckily I have found most of my figures :)

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
x-pack said:

But he's only got repros so there will be no confusion. Once he's too old to play with them, yes it happens to us all :lol: you just chuck them, put the rest in the display case and let him decide if he wants to get real ones. My brain is hurting for all kinds of different reasons :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom