Restoring a vehicle/playset box

That ESB X wing box looks great. I always loved the fading on older gear.
Ive had a few boxes warp. What Ive done is fold them up and put them under the mattress for a few weeks, they come out flat and crisp.
Just slide them between 2 boards for thin MDF

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Capetown said:
Before:

sw_x-wing_esb_palitoy_destroyed002.jpg

sw_x-wing_esb_palitoy_destroyed001.jpg

After:

sw_x-wing_esb_palitoy_destroyed003.jpg

sw_x-wing_esb_palitoy_destroyed004.jpg

Pretty good result if you ask me.
I didn't see this thread before. I'm pretty sure that exact box now lives at my house :)

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
I find that ironing a box works really well. The worrying thing for me is that I really like the musky smell that comes from ironing the cardboard, all that history steaming through my nostrils ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

Princess Leia Organa said:
If you use the Iron to flatten the box , iv got another tip you dont have to uses books that takes to long another great tip for boxes it to use a hair dryer on full heat flatten the parts you need to then once its flat enough put on the cold setting and hot it into shape till it cools you will have to do this 3 or 4 times till you get the desired effect but it works I did this on an old kenner Blythe doll box .
the iron can remove some color or bend the card at an unusual angle .

This works great for your hair too, hot and cold styling sets it in place. Also good for vinyl capes, heat them up then cool them down :wink:

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Looking forward to trying some of these methods - always worried about risking further damage but will take my time and see how I get on. Up until now I have persevered with internal supports using thick cardboard but it's a bit hit or miss!
Cheers

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
It works. I have went overboard and had the interior of the box dripping with spray starch. Once flat and dry...it wills stick together a bit....just take your time prying it apart.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom