Prototype Hasbro Interactive R2D2 (1 of 6)

wstallwood

I worked with the original design team in Cambridge UK on the Hasbro Interactive R2D2 released in 2002
I have one of the original prototypes, 6 prototypes were saved at the end of the project, all slightly different. As far as I know none have ever been offered for sale.
Mine is functional electronically but this test revision differs from the production version in a few ways. This was one of the first batch of test production units that came from the factory. 15 in total were made I beleive, most were destroyed when the project was ready for Production Release.

Mechanically there was a design issue with this variants head rotation which makes it a little sticky.
The waste plastic used at the factory to test the moulds for the prototypes didn't have the additives to slow yellowing, so in combination with having none of the detail finishes applied he has turned very yellow in places...the head is made of a marbled mix of waste plastic rather than silver.
Some parts weren't made at this point such as the periscope
Some minor design detals are different, the fit and function of some things such as the legs and the front foot aren't as good as the production version, these prototypes were used to tune out these issues.
The software load is different, though not so much that it impacts functionality, it was just an earlier build.

Can anyone help me with an idea of value ? He's lived in box here for over 20 years, I'm starting to think he deserves to be in someone's collection.
IMG_3285.jpg

David Tree

Jedi Master
I worked with the original design team in Cambridge UK on the Hasbro Interactive R2D2 released in 2002
I have one of the original prototypes, 6 prototypes were saved at the end of the project, all slightly different. As far as I know none have ever been offered for sale.
Mine is functional electronically but this test revision differs from the production version in a few ways. This was one of the first batch of test production units that came from the factory. 15 in total were made I beleive, most were destroyed when the project was ready for Production Release.

Mechanically there was a design issue with this variants head rotation which makes it a little sticky.
The waste plastic used at the factory to test the moulds for the prototypes didn't have the additives to slow yellowing, so in combination with having none of the detail finishes applied he has turned very yellow in places...the head is made of a marbled mix of waste plastic rather than silver.
Some parts weren't made at this point such as the periscope
Some minor design detals are different, the fit and function of some things such as the legs and the front foot aren't as good as the production version, these prototypes were used to tune out these issues.
The software load is different, though not so much that it impacts functionality, it was just an earlier build.

Can anyone help me with an idea of value ? He's lived in box here for over 20 years, I'm starting to think he deserves to be in someone's collection.View attachment 180259
Hi there,
Carl kindly gave me the heads up, as I collect a lot of the Hasbro Interactive preproduction products :)
The R2 is fantastic, were you partnered with Tiger Electronics, or was this it an internal project?
Did you work on any of the other products?
I've got various Work In Development pieces in my collection, which I'd love to shed a bit more light on, if ever you have a few minutes free? :)
All the best,
Dave.

wstallwood

Happy to sync up sometime, but Hasbro Interactive R2D2 was created by CreatureLabs in Cambridge UK, It was the only Star Wars toy we developed.

Last edited:

David Tree

Jedi Master
Happy to sync up sometime, but Hasbro Interactive R2D2 was created by CreatureLabs in Cambridge UK, It was the only Star Wars toy we developed.

That's amazing.
Do you recall if CreatureLabs were partnered with any other third party agency? CreatureLabs developing the internal electronics and an industrial design agency designing the housing, for example :)

wstallwood

Yes certainly we didn't do the moulding/plastics or the detailed mechanical design, CreatreLabs did the Electronics Design and software....sorry though I can't remember who that was...I know the manufacturing partner was Kin Yat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom