Vinyl Cape Jawa UKG 80

C&T Auctioneers

C&T Auctioneers and Valuers in Kent have an extremely exciting and collectible Star Wars piece that's set to take centre stage in our upcoming Star Wars & TV / Film Related Toys and Collectibles auction on 8th May 2024. Lot 183, on 1978 Star Wars Palitoy 12 back B Card, fully sealed bubble and punched card, this Rare Vintage Star Wars UKG 80 Graded Jawa (Vinyl Cape) is estimated to make between £20,000 - £30,000 at auction.

The Vinyl Cape version of the Jawa was the first issued example of this figure, but production was short lived; the originally manufactured vinyl cape was soon replaced with a cloth version. The carded UK Palitoy backs are even rarer than the USA Kenner carded back versions, with this toy being only one of 4-5 examples known to exist upon the rare Palitoy card back! In such excellent and graded condition this is a once in a lifetime find for Star Wars collectors.
https://bid.candtauctions.co.uk/lot...ck-B-card?url=/auctions/catalog/id/178?page=2

Attachments

• Lot 183.jpg
    Lot 183.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 18

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
@C&T Auctioneers I'd be grateful for some clarification on what happened with lot 209 at this auction.

I made a bid of £70 online and was the highest bidder going into the auction. I then received an email saying I had been outbid, quickly followed by another, saying that bid had been retracted, so I was back in the lead at £70.

The item ended at £70, so naturally, I assumed I had won. However, I didn't receive any notifications, so called yesterday. The first person I spoke to, couldn't work out what had happened and said someone would call me back. I then got a very baffling phone call. The lady told me that someone in the room matched my £70 bid, so won the item at the discretion of the auctioneer!

Is this actually a thing, where you don't actually have to produce a winning bid anymore - you simply flutter your eyelashes at the auctioneer in person and they'll let you beat someone who actually got the same bid in first?! Surely, the item goes to the person who bid that amount first, unless they are outbid (which they weren't)? It can't be called an auction...

I was very disappointed to say the least. Disappointed with losing an item I'd been looking for for years and disappointed with how C&T ran this auction. I've spent 1000's on C&T auctions in the past, and although this was only a £70 item, it was a bit of a grail for me.

C&T Auctioneers

@C&T Auctioneers I'd be grateful for some clarification on what happened with lot 209 at this auction.

I made a bid of £70 online and was the highest bidder going into the auction. I then received an email saying I had been outbid, quickly followed by another, saying that bid had been retracted, so I was back in the lead at £70.

The item ended at £70, so naturally, I assumed I had won. However, I didn't receive any notifications, so called yesterday. The first person I spoke to, couldn't work out what had happened and said someone would call me back. I then got a very baffling phone call. The lady told me that someone in the room matched my £70 bid, so won the item at the discretion of the auctioneer!

Is this actually a thing, where you don't actually have to produce a winning bid anymore - you simply flutter your eyelashes at the auctioneer in person and they'll let you beat someone who actually got the same bid in first?! Surely, the item goes to the person who bid that amount first, unless they are outbid (which they weren't)? It can't be called an auction...

I was very disappointed to say the least. Disappointed with losing an item I'd been looking for for years and disappointed with how C&T ran this auction. I've spent 1000's on C&T auctions in the past, and although this was only a £70 item, it was a bit of a grail for me.
We're sorry to hear that you found the bidding process confusing. Looking at the bidding history on the Saleroom back office, we can see that you did not leave a bid on lot 209 but on lot 296, which did sell for £70, but to another bidding platform. It appears there has been some confusion and we've sent you an email explaining what has happened which will hopefully clarify some things! If you'd like to discuss this further, please do contact our office who will be happy to help. Kind regards, C&T

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for getting back to me- much appreciated. I meant lot 296. I've replied to your email. Just to keep others in the loop, there were no bids in person- I misunderstood the term 'room bidders', which simply means there were other bidders from other platforms.

Priority was given to the first person to bid at £70. This is where I am still confused, as I was winning the auction for a while at £70, so surely my bid of £70 was first? If not, then the system needs looking at to avoid this happening again in the future.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515_111727_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_111727_Email.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240515_112005_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_112005_Email.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Top Bottom